Asbestos is probably the one building material that most homeowners are aware of since it can be so harmful to their health. Asbestos was used in insulation, for fire-proofing and strengthening other materials. It took several years before the ill health effects were discovered, mostly because they take a long time to develop.

These days, there aren’t that many homes that have asbestos in them, fortunately, but if you are unfortunate enough to find out your home is one of them, what should you do?

The first thing to do is to be calm. Just because asbestos is in your home doesn’t mean it is harmful to you. You would need to breathe in the fibers for them to do the damage, which means that asbestos is fine as long as you don’t disturb it. Don’t try to remove asbestos yourself. Unless you have the training and tools needed to remove it safely you are likely to do more harm than good. Even walking through your home could leave a trail of asbestos fibers behind that could then harm your family.

error: Content is protected !!